The first semester has already ended. The most important thing I’ve learned is how to think in designing after these 3 months. I enjoyed this semester very much, especially the group study, during which I could discuss ideas with classmates from different cultures. They can always give me some amazing inspiration. We all learned things from each other through this effective learning method. The following is the summary of my homework in this semester.
1. Blog. At first, I thought a blog every week is quite boring. However, after getting used to the teaching style here, I found it a very efficient and effective self-study method. I need to ready, understand, and then express myself through writing.
2. Sketch. Back to my study in China, Sketch is not so important. But here is different. The teachers use this method to help us focus on the details of our lives and try to depict things in our own way. This is extremely helpful for us future designers. We have to learn to observe the environment around us and combine it with our understanding. That is what makes design so special and interesting. I attached some pictures of my sketches in this semester.
3. Experience map. It is a very practical and interesting way to analyze what should be done before designing. A road map in mind is critical for a designer. No matter what kind of design you are doing, you always need to have a theme so that your audience can understand your point.
5. Useful little tools. I and some other classmates made this water filter machine together. It is a very meaningful project.
6. Visual data. It is important to visualize the data to make people understand. This method gives life to boring numbers and let them become vivid image. I attached some pictures of one of my homework. Students were allowed to choose their own materials and use them to present visual data.
7. I remembered there was on time that people used hats with different color to give different comments. It was a very interesting way to give advice to friends. On the other hand, It is a very interesting way to observe other students’ work.
8. I’m so happy to win the competition with Ib and Ignatius.